Right type of internet for static IP

• 7 December 2021
  • 1 kommentti
  • 320 katselukertaa

I'm a student from somewhere else then Finland, I'm a bit confused on choosing what type of internet for static IP, any recommendations are welcomed!

Edit SannaMKoo: Edited the title to be little more descriptive

1 kommentti

Käyttäjätaso 3
Kunniamerkki +14

@TheAlpha  kirjoitti:

I'm a student from somewhere else then Finland, I'm a bit confused on choosing what type of internet for static IP, any recommendations are welcomed!

You cannot have static IP from Telia for any kind of wired internet products (cable nor optical fiber). On can only have it with el-cheapo 4G mobile broadband which is otherwise useless for any kind of acitivities when you NEED static IP... 🙂>

But if you buy some high quality, stable router for wired Internet and keep it running 24/7, your dybamic public IP doesn't actually change very often. It's paired with your router's MAC address and as long you keep the same router (or clone the MAC address to different router) you will basicly get same IP at least for some years. I was even able to keep the same IP when upraging my connection from ADSL to VDSL2 and later to optical fiber. Only thing needed was to clone the MAC address of old ADSL modem to Edgerouter which was fist used with VDSL2 and later with fiber.

Vastaa