Sharing HOAS connection with Buffalo router/modem

• 11 December 2014
  • 2 kommenttia
  • 37 katselukertaa

Hi, sorry this message will be an English because if I try to explain this in Finnish you will pull you hair out.

I just moved into a HOAS family apartment and I'm trying to share the connection with my trustee Buffalo ASDL router/modem. Since the connection only comes out of the RJ45 wall jack, I have to use the Ethernet cable and plug it in one of the LAN port of the router. (The DSL/phone outlet doesn't seem active in this house)

The issues so far:
- I am only able to share the connection through the LAN ports of the router.
- Wireless devices are sometimes able to connect (it even sometimes read "Internet access" in the tray bar) but are unable to browse. It can't resolve proxy and always time out.
-When the Ethernet cable carrying the Internet connection is plugged into the router, the router itself becomes unavailable.(can't access 192.168.1.11 no more). I'm assuming the connection has its own gateway somewhere else and prevents me from accessing the router.
- I effectively don't have any private network anymore.

How would I go about being able to share the connection while still having access to my own private network (e.g. using my router as local DHCP server). Is my device suited at all for this? I never had any issues when the connection comes from a DSL cable.

Kiitos!

2 kommenttia

Unfortunately, most ADSL and many VDSL routers can only use the DSL interface for internet connection.

If your internet connection is Ethernet, you cannot use xDSL modem as router unless the modem has a configurable Ethernet port labeled WAN, internet or uplink.

Of course, an ADSL modem with WLAN can often used as WLAN bridge.

Nordiis kirjoitti:
- Wireless devices are sometimes able to connect (it even sometimes read "Internet access" in the tray bar) but are unable to browse. It can't resolve proxy and always time out.

This may be due to the problem that your ADSL modem has DHCP server still running, even though you are effectively using it as a bridge. In this configuration, your computers may randomly get ip address either from the modem or Sonera's equipment.

If you want to use your old modem as a bridge, you will have to go into the ADSL modem's config and turn DHCP server off.

Nordiis kirjoitti:

-When the Ethernet cable carrying the Internet connection is plugged into the router, the router itself becomes unavailable.(can't access 192.168.1.11 no more).

This is normal when bridging is used. The address you will get from Sonera is a public one, and thus is certainly not on the same subnet with 192.168.x.x. The same would have happened even with an ADSL line, if you would have configured your modem to use bridging.

With Windows you just have to reconfigure your network adapter for a fixed ip address during reconfiguration of your ADSL modem (you cannot access internet at the same time). With Linux you can have both one dhcp assigned and one fixed ip address on the same network adapter.

Nordiis kirjoitti:
- I effectively don't have any private network anymore.

This is true. When plugging internet uplink into LAN connector, you effectively bypassed the router and use your modem as a switch (while the local DHCP server is still wreaking havoc in your network).

If your modem does not have an option of using one of the Ethernet ports as WAN/internet/uplink port and you still wish to have a private network, you will need a new router, such as Linksys WRT54GL or newer.
irritus kirjoitti:

If your modem does not have an option of using one of the Ethernet ports as WAN/internet/uplink port and you still wish to have a private network, you will need a new router, such as Linksys WRT54GL or newer.

Thanks a ton for the thorough answer. I continued my research after posting here and came pretty much to the same conclusion...a broadband router with WAN port if what I need. I tried disabling DHCP a bit earlier and that was certainly an improvement as all my wireless devices now have access to internet but of course they all use different public IP address. This also doesn't solve the problem about the lack of private network and firewall that a router would provide me.

So yes, unless I manage to reconfigure this device to act to bridge AND act as local DHCP I think I'll be looking for a new router. Thanks again!

Vastaa