4G coverage in Kulossari

• 31 August 2019
  • 8 kommenttia
  • 8 katselukertaa

Hi all - I'm using Telia wireless broadband in Kulossari and recently the network speed drastically slowed down. It was not super fast from the beginning with but now is beyond usable. Speed test tool clocks only between 2 to 4 MB/s. Does anyone know how to improve the speed? Is there a provider offering better speeds? Will DNA or Elisa be better? Any help will be much appreciated. 

8 kommenttia

Käyttäjätaso 7
Kunniamerkki +14

Hey @Marek99 and welcome to Telia yhteisö/community!

It seems that average speed on our 4G network in kulosaari is between 19-32Mbit/s depending which celltower your device is connection to.

What router do you have at the moment (Model and manufacturer)? Are you using this connection with an ethernet cable or wirelessly with wifi?

Käyttäjätaso 7
Kunniamerkki +20

@Marek99@  kirjoitti:

Hi all - I'm using Telia wireless broadband in Kulossari and recently the network speed drastically slowed down. It was not super fast from the beginning with but now is beyond usable. Speed test tool clocks only between 2 to 4 MB/s. Does anyone know how to improve the speed? Is there a provider offering better speeds? Will DNA or Elisa be better? Any help will be much appreciated. 

Hi and welcome to Telia Yhteisö (Telia Community)!

Are you using speedtest.net ?  2MB/s is about 20Mbps, and 4MB/s 40Mbps, and those speeds should be enough even for streaming 4K video. I assume you ment 2-4Mbps. 

What you are experiencing, sounds very typical network congestion caused by increased number of users. There aren't any fast solutions but installing new hardware to Telia LTE Base station serving you, if it's the congestion in case. Could you tell the model of the phone/router you are using? Of course, there are many other reasons affecting the speed of a mobile data connection, including: obstacles between you and the base station, noise/interference from other base stations, interference from electrical equiptment and many others.

Telia lists incoming network upgrades over here: https://www.telia.fi/asiakastuki/verkko/verkko/verkkokartta  , but it looks like there aren't any around Kulosaari area.

I would contact Telia customer service. They are able to check the status of nearby cellural masts and check in-depth -analysis of your subscription's performance. They are also able to give more accurate info about ongoing network upgrades.

It's possible, that other provides might be faster and it's worth of checking, especially if Telia isn't doing any upgrades soon. As you might know, there are prepaid-SIM cards available in almost every S and K-market, R-kioski and other retail stores and of course on Telia stores. Prepaid-SIMs provide mobile data for couple of days which should be enough for evaluating the performance.

Yes, I used speedtest.net site to test the connection. Sorry for the typo, I'm getting 2 to 4Mbps and I tested it at different times during the day. Same result. I wish I was getting 20mbps :-) 

I'm using Huawei modem, model B525s-65a, supplied by Telia. 

I also have a phone line with Telia. Connection on my phone in the same location where the Huawei mode is located is getting way better speed, range 15 to 20 Mbps. My phone is a Samsung S10. Not sure why Mobile connection will be so much better than broadband.

I made a call request with Telia for Monday. I contacted them a few weeks ago, they opened a ticket but since than connection only got worse. None from Telia called me. A year contract they made me sign says the connection should be between 10 to 80 Mbps. 

I'll get a starter kit from DNA and Elisa to test their connections at my house

I'm using Huawei B525s-65a model provided by Telia. I tested the connection speed both wired and wireless. Results were very similar. 

Käyttäjätaso 7
Kunniamerkki +14

If your mobile phone is getting 15-20Mbit/s then celltower should provide same speeds to your mobile broadband aswell.

So it seems that the fault is in the router itself or connection between your router and device. Are you using wifi or ethernet cable?

I have two laptops, which are about 1 meter from the router. One is connected by network cable and the other is using WiFi connection. Speeds are about the same.

Edit JoonasLam: photo added 

Käyttäjätaso 7
Kunniamerkki +20

The reason why your mobile provides higher speed is simply that it's much more advanced device. Huawei  B525s-65a is older device, and Samsung Galaxy S10 supports all bells and whistles that the network is able to provide.

Have you tried to reset the Huawei router? I would also try band locking from the Huawei settings.

Speeds like 2-4Mbps are much below minimum speed described (10Mbps), so I believe you should be able to terminate the fixed term subscription if you like so.

Do you have any reasonable wired connections available? Those are stable when it comes to the speed and can't be congested like LTE (slowed over time)? To be honest, DNA or Elisa might have more capacity available just now, but no-one knows what it is after couple of weeks.

Käyttäjätaso 7
Kunniamerkki +14

Those speeds are poor indeed. Come to our chat or give us a call 020690400 mon-fri 8-20 sat 9-16.30

Lets figure out what we can do about this.

Vastaa