Lego Prices in Finland

• 13 November 2017
  • 4 kommenttia
  • 4 katselukertaa

I could understand why - years ago - when Finland was truly isolated, Finnish retailers could price goods with whatever margin they chose.

But nowadays with the internet, the EU, and the knowledge of other languages - Finnish comapnies continue to gouge the Finnish consumer.

One good example is Lego. Lego arrives within a few days - freight-free - from Amazon.de - yet the Finnish comanies do not react. I have seen Finnish prices 50% higher as a usual thing.

Then everyone wonders why signs appear 'loppuunmyynti.' Or have I missed something?

4 kommenttia

Käyttäjätaso 7
Kunniamerkki +20

Hello jopes and welcome to Telia yhteisö!

In Finland, all products are more expensive than elsewhere. For example, the price of food is higher than in most other EU countries. I think this is all because Finland is a small country and is located far to the north.

"I think this is all because Finland is a small country and is located far to the north."

I don't think that reasoning holds up. A population of 5+ million customers of such a widely-bought product as Lego does not explain a 50% higher price. Being in the north does not limit transport to Iditarod huskie teams! Commercial transport costs inside EU don't vary by more than a few % - a field I am VERY familiar with. An importer in Finland will pay very little more to get goods from a Lego warehouse in Europe than any other European country. On top of that - just looking at the consumer end - Amazon.de ships to Finland with FREE delivery.

Finnish importers could use Finland's isolation in the 60's/70's when consumerism began - but IMO no longer holds water. It's really a question of Finns getting 'out there' to compare prices! It won't be long before competition begins - we've already seen what Lidl has done to S and K with many products.

Käyttäjätaso 7
Kunniamerkki +20

In Finland, tax is added to all products and it raises prices. Other countries do not necessarily have such a heavy taxation. Finns buy a lot of products when traveling in other countries because it is cheaper.

"In Finland, tax is added to all products and it raises prices"

Absoloutely true - particularly true when looking at US prices.

But I'm promarily talking here about European prices - and all European sales taxes are within a few % of each other - and come nowheres near explaining 50% price differences

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union_value_added_tax

Vastaa