Changing Annex mode

• 11 December 2014
  • 2 kommenttia
  • 6 katselukertaa

Hi all,

I just moved to Finland and have Sonera broadband (standard phone line based broadband), but the upload speeds are quite poor.

Due to some screw up with my account Sonera haven't sent me the modem I was expecting to receive so eventually I got very tired and just purchased a router - Netgear DGN2200 - once the line had been activated.

I use backup online services, so I'd like to bump up upload speeds a little bit, and with my previous ISP in the UK I had the option to change ADSL mode from Annex A to Annex M, sacrificing download speeds a little bit in favour of upload speeds.

Unfortunately I can't find any option to make this change, in my router's web interface, so I was wondering whether someone here has got the same device and could give me a hint?

Also, is it possible at all with Sonera ADSL to use Annex M? It would seem it is from what I can (kinda..) read from http://www5.sonera.fi/ohjeet/ADSL-modeemin_asetukset, but I am not sure of what it is meant by the mention to "Extra" - when I click that link I am taken to a page which really doesn't say anything - for what I can understand - concerning the meaning of "Extra".

Any help much appreciated.

2 kommenttia

Sisupoika kirjoitti:
Hi all,

I just moved to Finland and have Sonera broadband (standard phone line based broadband), but the upload speeds are quite poor.

Due to some screw up with my account Sonera haven't sent me the modem I was expecting to receive so eventually I got very tired and just purchased a router - Netgear DGN2200 - once the line had been activated.

I use backup online services, so I'd like to bump up upload speeds a little bit, and with my previous ISP in the UK I had the option to change ADSL mode from Annex A to Annex M, sacrificing download speeds a little bit in favour of upload speeds.

Unfortunately I can't find any option to make this change, in my router's web interface, so I was wondering whether someone here has got the same device and could give me a hint?

Also, is it possible at all with Sonera ADSL to use Annex M? It would seem it is from what I can (kinda..) read from http://www5.sonera.fi/ohjeet/ADSL-modeemin_asetukset, but I am not sure of what it is meant by the mention to "Extra" - when I click that link I am taken to a page which really doesn't say anything - for what I can understand - concerning the meaning of "Extra".

Any help much appreciated.

Hi,

Extra means that optical fiber comes to your apartment building and the connection is delivered through the copper line inside the building using ADSL2+ or VDSL2, I think. If you have the "regular" Sonera ADSL through copper, you won't get more than 1Mbps Upload speed, even if you change to Annex M.
I see :(

Thank you for the explanation. Quite disappointing... am missing Virgin Media now.
I made the mistake not to check the availability of fibre optic in my area before moving here - a friend was helping with finding the place etc.

Vastaa