Thomson Modem Wireless Too Slow... Tried Everything!!!

• 11 December 2014
  • 4 kommenttia
  • 2 katselukertaa

Hi,

I am Sonera 100/10 broadband customer and I live in Helsinki.

Recently I shifted my apartment from the third floor to the second floor. It is to be noted that it is a student apartment. So Sonera has their setup well-built in the building.

Before even in wireless I used to get more that 90 mbps in Speedtest. But after moving it hardly goes over 50. Sometimes it is less than 30 too. Also when I checked my Thomson setup it showed the actual speed is only 65 mbps when it should have been 130 mbps. I tried changing the channel from Auto to manual and tried all 13 channels from 1-13. Also restarted and reset my modem several times. But no matter what I do it never gives me more than 50 mbps. But when I plug my pc directly to the wall outlet, it is giving me 98 mbps. So it is something to do with the Thomson modem. I do not know what to do anymore. So can someone please suggest me what to do? I do not want to change subscription. Can Sonera give me a different modem so that it solves the wireless problem? Please let me know.

Thanks.

4 kommenttia

Have you bought any new wireless devices when you moved? For example, wireless speakers may interfere with WLAN, if they are on the same frequency band. WLAN channels 1–13 are on 2,4 GHz band, so check the rating plate of the speakers.

If your modem is a loaner from Sonera and you think it may have become faulty, you can of course contact Sonera's fault repair service for replacement. But you will most likely get just the same model of modem you already have.
Hi nahiyan,

Have you tried resetting your factory defaults to the thomson modem device after move? You can do that by pressing the reset-button on the right side of the device for 30 seconds. After that, the power-light should turn orange.

Report back to me if this helps for the issue. We can also try updating your device firmware version to newer one to fix this issue.
Hi,

Thanks to you both for your reply.

I have reset the modem a couple of times and it kind of made it worse. Now the speed is always below 40.
The channel is set to Auto and it is channel 6. Changing the channel doesn't help at all.

I tried the speed in downloading several things. Before I used to get minimum 9 MBps. But now it is less than 4. Sometimes even less.

I am not using any TV.

Also all the devices which are connected via wireless are pretty new and supports wireless N. I do not see how any of them can clog down the network.

So could you kindly suggest me any other alternatives? I asked for a new modem already. They will send me a new one by Thursday. But it will be the same model I guess. So I am not really hopeful. Is it possible to use other branded modem in this Sonera broadband? Like Apple Airport or something like this?

Thank You.
Hi nahiyan

If the modem change doesn't fix the problem and you are using multiple wireless devices in your apartment, you could also make a fault report about this issue. We only have two kind of modems for your connection and both have quite similar hardware on it.

If you are not using the TV-system at all, you can use your own ethernet router if you want. i.e Apple airport. You can also use these devices together if you connect inteno device first to the ethernet port and apple airport device to the inteno LAN-port.

Vastaa